The Nepean Ringette Association is committed to protect the safety and comfort of its members at all events sponsored by the Association. This policy regulates the supervision of minors who participate in Nepean Ringette events. It also regulates the safety and comfort of change rooms for members that are below the age of majority. The policy addresses the topics of supervision, player behaviour, music, non-players in the change room and males in the change room.
This policy exists to protect the safety and privacy of members participating in Nepean Ringette events that are below the age of majority. It also exists to promote the members’ comfort and enjoyment of the change room.
This policy applies to all change room sessions and off-ice events that are part of any activities or events of the Association, including sort outs and try outs. It applies to every change room that is occupied by any members who are under the age of majority in Ontario, which includes all teams from U7 to U19 in the Nepean Ringette Association.
All members of the Nepean Ringette Association, including players, parents, coaching staff and other volunteers, shall abide by the supervision regulations, as described in this document, when using a change room as part of any activities or events of the Association and when participating in any other off-ice event of the Association. In addition to the specific regulations for change room use and supervision, the Player Code of Conduct and the Parent Code of Conduct also apply.
Supervision in the change room
Supervision of the change room begins 30 minutes before ice time and ends 25 minutes after ice time. Players who are under 18 years of age shall be supervised in the change room at all times by a minimum of two supervisors, one of which must always be female. Players are not allowed to enter the change room before the arrival of supervisors.
The exact form of supervision may vary by age of the players and by the situation, as follows:
- U7-U8: Players shall be supervised in the dressing room at all times by their own parents or guardians, male or female, or by other parents or guardians and/or team staff. There shall be a minimum of two supervisors in the room at all times, unless there is only one player with his or her own parent or guardian. The head coach may choose to follow the policy for the U9-U10 levels, at his or her discretion.
- U9-U10: Players shall be supervised in the dressing room at all times by female parents or guardians and/or adult female team staff. One of the supervisors is permitted to a female coach in training who is at least 16 years of age. There shall be a minimum of two female supervisors in the room at all times, unless there is only one player with her own parent or guardian. Male parents and guardians are not permitted in the change room once the team is formed for the year. Male team staff members, such as a coach, are only permitted in the change room just before and just after ice times at a predetermined time. All players shall be fully dressed for this time, and at least one adult female supervisor shall be present.
- U12-U16: Players shall be supervised in the dressing room at all times by two predetermined and designated adult female supervisors who remain in the room. Parents who are not selected as supervisors are not permitted in the change room. An exception to this can be made for the female parent or guardian of a goalie. Male parents and guardians are not permitted in the change room. Male team staff members, such as a coach, are only permitted in the change room just before and just after ice times at a predetermined time. All players shall be fully dressed for this time, and at least one adult female supervisor shall be present.
- U19: Players using the change room shall be supervised at all times by a minimum of two predetermined and designated adults; at least one of which shall be female. At the discretion of the head coach, the adult supervisors shall be present in the room or shall be immediately outside the change room door with the door ajar.
- U8-U19 male players: Any male player on teams from U8-U19, changing in a separate change room, shall be supervised at all times. If the male player is the only one in the change room, he shall be supervised by his own parent or guardian, or a minimum of two male bench staff members. If there is more than one male player in the change room, the players shall be supervised by a minimum of two male adults, including one bench staff member.
Supervision during off-ice activities
- Players who are under 18 years of age shall be supervised during any off-ice, organized team event, including pre-game warm-up, dryland training, fundraising and any other organized team activity. For activities in open public areas, players shall be supervised by at least one designated adult. For activities in private spaces or isolated public spaces, players shall be supervised according to the change room supervision policy for the appropriate age group.
Player behaviour in the change room
- Players shall abide by the Player Code of Conduct at all times, including in the change room.
- Players shall behave in ways that are safe. Players shall not climb, jump or run in the change room.
- Players must keep their voices and music at a reasonable volume, as determined by the change room supervisors.
- Players shall put on or leave on all of their equipment, with the exceptions of helmet, neck guard, gloves and skates, when waiting for their coach to come into the change room. Players shall not change while the coach is talking to the team or while any male coaching staff members are in the change room.
- Players shall not use any electronic device with a camera, such as a cell phone, a tablet, a laptop or an iPod, in the change room. Players shall keep any such electronic devices away in a bag or a pocket. An exception to this may be made at the discretion of the change room supervisor for one device to be used to play music. In this case, the device shall be covered to prevent the camera from being able to be used.
Choice of music in the change room
- Music in the change room must be age-appropriate, at the discretion of the change room supervisors.
Siblings and friends in the change room
- U7: Siblings and friends that are the age of the player are permitted in the change room, as long as there is space and the visiting children behave appropriately.
- U8-U19: Siblings and friends are not permitted in the change room.
Male and female players sharing a change room
- U7: Female and male players may share a change room, provided players arrive in full equipment; wear gym shorts, long underwear and a full t-shirt; or change in the toilet cubicle.
- U8-U19: Female and male players shall change in separate rooms. Both genders shall meet with the coach together in one change room just before or just after ice times.
Responsibilities of the Head Coach
For the regular season, a team’s head coach shall select at least one appropriate change room supervisor for the team and shall approve the other choices of supervisors. The head coach shall make sure that the volunteers, players and parents are aware of the change room policy. The head coach shall also make sure that the room is supervised by the selected volunteers.
Responsibilities of the organizer for try outs and sort outs
The organizer for try outs and sort outs shall make sure that each change room for U8 to U19 is supervised according to the policy.
Responsibilities of the change room supervisors
The change room supervisor make sure that what happens in the change room is in accordance with the change room policy. The change room supervisor shall inform the head coach of any serious or recurring problem that happens in the change room.
For my information on this policy, contact the player advocate.
This policy was approved by the Nepean Ringette Executive at a regular meeting in March 2015.