Duties of the Timekeeper
- The timekeeper is responsible for the operation of the game clock, displaying the time remaining in the game. If the scoreboard is capable, the timekeeper shall display the score, period, and time remaining in penalties being served.
- If the rink is not equipped with an automatic buzzer or siren, or if such device fails to function, the timekeeper shall signal the end of each period.
- If the game clock malfunctions, the timekeeper shall track the time remainig in the game using a stopwatch, if available, or an ordinary wristwatch.
- The timekeeper shall time the 30 seconds allocated for team timeouts (Note: if available, the shot clock is normally used for this purpose).
- At the end of the game, the timekeeper shall sign the Offical Game Report (gamesheet) and return it to the scorekeeper.
- The on-ice officials shall decide any dispute regarding the time remaining in the game. Adjustments to the game time shall be made only with the sanction of the on-ice officials.
Useful Tips and Hints
- Operating instructions for scoreboards at Nepean areans are provided below.
- It is useful to be familiar with rules related to penalty order and cancellation in case the game has simultaneous or fully served penalties. This can get confusing in a busy game.
- If a remote start/stop switch is used, the switch on the top of the controller needs to be set to the middle position.
Scoreboard Instructions: Instructions for operating the scoreboards at Nepean arenas, and other arenas often used for the Nepean Tournament:
- Sportsplex 2 & 3, Walter Baker, Bell
Also KRC, Goulborn Rec, Walkley/Peplinski
- OES units found at Bell Sensplex
Also Vanier, Ray Friel 1 and Potvin
- OES unit found at Merivale and Sportsplex 1
Short Instructions Full manual (28 pages)
- Instructions for Clocks at CORA (Ottawa) Arenas (McNabb, Brewer, Walkley, St. Laurent).
Referee Signals: Useful to know what’s on the way…
Penalty Rules: Useful for order of penalties and when a penalty is cancelled by a goal (and which one).
Shot Clock Information: Shot Clocks rules and procedures.